From at least the 1690s in England the WELCH family has resided in the area of Mere, Wiltshire, and 14 miles northwest, in Shepton Mallet, Somerset. The letter regarding the estate of James Welch had a letterhead with the location of Shepton Mallet.
WELCH FAMILY OUTLINE:
- Christopher WELCH (b. about 1690) & ?.
- Richard WELCH (christened 10/23/1712 in Mere, Wiltshire, ENG, bur. 1796-07-10 in Mere) & Mary ? (bur. 5/2/1773 in Mere).
- Mary WELCH (christened 10/26/1736 in Mere).
- Christopher WELCH.
- Martha WELCH (christened 5/15/1741 in Mere).
- Richard WELCH (christened 1/2/1739/40 in Mere) m. on 2/19/1762 to Edith PITMAN.
- Mary Pitman WELCH (christened 7/7/1762 in Mere).
- Richard WELCH (christened 12/26/1765 in Mere, bur. 1766-07-10).
- Thomas WELCH.
- Ann WELCH (christened 1/5/1775).
- Richard WELCH (christened 2/24/1768 in Mere, d. 1/19/1848 in Kent, Shepton Mallet, Somerset, ENG. Occupation: Horse dealer and butcher), living on Kent St. in Shepton Mallet in 1851 British Census, occupation: Independent, widow aged 77) m. on 1/5/1792 to Elizabeth ADLAM (b. 1774 in Shepton Mallet, christened 11/19/1774 in Shepton Mallet, d. 5/1/1855 in Worminster, St. Cuthabert Well, Somerset, ENG) daughter of Stephen ADLAM (christened 11/7/1739 in Horningsham, Wiltshire, ENG, d. 5/26/1824 in Wester Shepton, Shepton Mallet, bur. 5/26/1824 in Wester Shepton) m. 2/23/1772 to Mary BARNES in Shepton Mallet (b. 1748, bur. 10/12/1822 in Wester Shepton).
- Harriet WELCH m. George MILLER.
- Francis Johnson MILLER.
- Elizabeth WELCH (christened 8/9/1794 in Shepton Mallet, bur. 12/26/1797 in Mere).
- James WELCH (d. 1884 in Shepton Mallet).
- Elizabeth WELCH.
- Frederick WELCH.
- Priscilla WELCH.
- Robert WELCH.
- Eliza WELCH.
- George WELCH.
- Charles WELCH
|DEATH CERTIFICATE OF JAMES WELCH
|1884. REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Shepton Mallet
DEATH in the Sub-district of Shepton Mallet in the County of Somerset
||When and where died
||Name and Surname
||Cause of death
||Signature, description and residence of informant
||Signature of registrar
||Twenty-sixth May 1884, West Shepton, Shepton Mallet, U S D
||A retired farmer
||Natural decay, Certified by B. N. Hyatt MRCS
||Mary Ann Welch, Sister in law, Present at the Death, Southampton
||Twenty-seventh of May 1884
||Henry V. Martin, Registrar
Mary Ann Welch should be the wife of either Frederick, Robert, George, or Charles Welch.
FamilySearch.org chart: ADLAM pedigree chart.
Rootsweb tree: Barnes-Adlam-Welch.
Letter to Francis Johnson Miller, nephew of James Welch who was brother of Harriet Welch MILLER
- Richard WELCH, [IGI] bap. 2/24/1768 Mere, Wiltshire, ENG; mar: 1/5/1792 Shepton Mallet, Somerset to Elizabeth/Betsy ADLAM, b. 11/8/1772; bap. 12/28/1772 Mere, Wiltshire, dau. of Stephen ADLAM & Mary ? [IGI].
- Elizabeth, b. abt. 1795 Mere, Wiltshire.
- James, b. 1/6/1799 Mere, Wiltshire.
- Elizabeth, bap. 11/17/1799 Mere, Wiltshire.
- Frederick, b. 10/5/1801; bap. 10/25/1801 Mere, Wiltshire.
- Priscilla, bap. 8/26/1804 Mere, Wiltshire; d. 11/12/1886.
- Robert, b. 11/5/1805; bap. 12/14/1806 Mere, Wiltshire; d. 10/6/1857.